About us

Our practice was formed as a partnership by Alex Campbell and John Harrison in 1994, with John retiring in 2001.

The firm was incorporated in 2008 and Alex is now the Managing Director. We are an independent financial advice practice regulated directly by the Financial Services Authority and specialise in retirement and investment planning.

In addition to Alex there are two other advisers and five administration staff. All of whom are a part of what makes Campbell Harrison what it is.

We moved to our newly refurbished premises in Paradise Square in April 2009.

Click here for the history of Paradise Square.

Alex Campbell

Managing Director

Alex has worked in financial services since 1975, becoming an IFA in 1989 and qualifing as a pension specialist in 1998. He is a qualified Chartered Insurance Practitioner and also holds the Investment Management Certificate. He co-founded the practice in 1994 and is now the Managing Director.

Alex is married with one son and two stepchildren and lives in Sheffield

Ian Platts

Associate

Ian has over 15 years experience in the financial services industry, initially with a large insurance company and later becoming an IFA in Bournemouth in 2000. He holds a degree in Business Administration and qualified as a pension specialist in 2002. Ian moved back to his hometown of Sheffield and joined the practice in 2002, since when he has built up his own client base, working in particular with solicitors and accountants.

Ian is married with one son and lives in Sheffield.

Richard Collis

IFA

Richard has over 20 years experience in the financial services industry previously at some of the large insurance companies such as Standard Life and Skandia He holds the Chartered Insurance Institute Diploma in Financial Planning.

Richard is married with 3 children and lives near Chesterfield.

Julie Shaw

Office Manager

Julie re-joined us in June 2010, after a five year break, in the role of office manager, responsible for overseeing the administrative and compliance work carried out on behalf of clients.

She previously worked here for four years and in the interim was a senior paraplanner at Grant Thornton, undertaking technical research, report preparation and client liaison.

Janet Yates

SIPP Administrator

Janet has been with us since 2000 and is our longest serving member of staff. She has previously worked for a number of insurance companies and brokerages. Janet handles all the routine administration for our Self-Invested Pension Plans (SIPPs) and is the key point of contact for members of these schemes.

Paula Grant

Administrator

Paula joined us in 2008 having worked in the insurance industry for a number of years.

Paula is responsible for collating and analysing information regarding our clients’ pensions to enable our advisers to evaluate their circumstances and provide appropriate recommendations. 

Tina Coldwell

Group Pensions Administrator

Tina joined us in March 2012 to provide group pensions and administration support to the team. She has previous experience in financial services working within both the banking and life assurance sector.

Jayne Swift

Receptionist

Jayne joined us in 2011 to look after reception and take care of typing and administration duties. Jayne previously worked for a large company as an Administration Supervisor and PA to the Management Team.

 

Meet the team

Click over our profile pictures to find out more about the team.

Alex Campbell
Ian Platts
Richard Collis
Julia Shaw
janet
paula
tina
Jayne Sfift
  • Alex Campbell
  • Ian Platts
  • Richard Collis
  • Julia Shaw
  • janet
  • paula
  • tina
  • Jayne Sfift

Paradise Square

The square started life as an orchard and the term ‘Paradise’ used to be given to enclosures near a church. Later the land was set aside in trust to the Shrewsbury Hospital Trust in 1616 by the will of Gilbert, Earl Of Shrewsbury to make provision for a hospital and almshouses, which continues to provide low cost accommodation for local retired people to this day.

The building of the square started with the east side when a local merchant built 5 houses on a 500 year lease from the hospital trust to enclose his garden. His son built the remaining three sides of the square in on a 94 year lease from 1776, which eventually reverted to the Trust which continues to own and administer the properties.

The square has seen a number of transformations in its history. Initially it was a sought after address for wealthy professionals, however the town stocks were later moved to the square and in 1808 it became the new location for the pot market and began to be known as ‘Pot Square’, known as much for the sale of wives as for cups and saucers! During this rackety period the square had a number of pubs, including the ‘Q in the Corner (no 17)’ was which best known for its blind fiddlers and the disreputable ‘Clown & Monkey’ at no. 22 which hosted rat fights in the cellars!

Through the 19th century the square hosted an eclectic mix of trader’s shop windows, a boys school at nos. 18 & 20, the ‘House of Help’ for fallen young women at no.1 from 1885 and was also a important public speaking venue. No.18 originally had an external staircase extending into the square which together with the natural slope of the land provided an ideal platform for addressing public meetings. John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist church preached from this balcony in 1779 and in the 1830’s the Chartist movement held several

paradise square

Image: Paradise Square with an unusually car-free car park.

anti-government meeting, several of which escalated into public disorder and riots.

The square was bombed during the Sheffield Blitz of 1940, with no. 17 and our own no. 19 receiving a direct hit from an incendiary bomb, after which both were rebuilt using as many of the original features as possible. Throughout the 20th century the old trader’s shop fronts have been removed by the Trustees who have gradually moved the square back to the respectable, classical square it is today, with most of the buildings occupied by the legal profession, accountants and surveyors.

In 2008 the square gained its own pub once again when the Wig & Pen extended through from Campo Lane to provide an outdoor dining area on the cobbles, which has proved to be extremely popular and lends a continental feel on sunny days.